Saturday, January 10, 2015

Recorder resources and songs

First of all, it's important to play the recorder properly:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weh4Omts-EE


I think the recorder is the instrument of the devil, capable of inflicting pain in small, furry rodents within a 50 miles radius.  However, when it's not engaged in evil deeds, it is an invaluable part of the general music class.  Here's why: 1. Playing affords melodic reading experience  2. Playing improves fine and gross motor coordination 3. They provide beginning wind instrument experience 4. They're cheap 4. They're portable and durable. Even my students who inadvertently try to murder them or inflict bite marks on them still only break about 1 a year.   5. Recorder instruction allows a lot of differentiation, whether you use recorder karate or other individual student-paced curriculum. 6.If the United States decided to have a mass concert of Hot Cross Buns, at least 99% of the general population would be able to participate.

My population is very transient and often I can not teach more than GAB, but I get a lot of out of those 3 notes.  I know some teachers start with A and C and do a lot of sol-mi music that way, but since I don't teach in Hungary and live in a country with mi-re-do music, that's what I'm going to focus on.  I'm sorry if I just made many Kodaly people's heads explode.

I used to do recorder in 3rd grade, but my students are no longer able developmentally to handle the fine and gross motor skills, so I've pushed it up to 4th grade.  Five years ago my students were clamoring to earn belts.  About a year ago I noticed the interest was flagging and now I have to practically offer to give away an Oldsmobile to get them to buy into home practice.  But there are a few who want to accelerate so I still do recorder karate with them.  I make a big deal by having belts announced over the intercom and giving them certificates, but the students give up after the yellow belt.  

To differentiate I use recorder karate.  If you don't want to pay for the kit, it's still easy to implement on your own.  You can choose music that gets increasingly more difficult and tie string or yarn or whatever you have on hand around the recorders.  The advantage to recorder karate is that there's already a website for practice, but with today's technology, it's easy to make your own accompaniments.
The other way I differentiate is by writing alternate parts.

Fun recorder activities:
I use three hula hoops --different colors--to represent GAB.   I step into one and the students play that note.  I demonstrate several different ways to "conduct" and then let them take turns.  The first few students will do random jumping but along the way the students start to change from playing with their hair on fire to thinking about melodic ideas.  There will always be a kid who thinks it's fun to run back and forth and do silly stuff so I ask the class to assess that type of activity.  Then the next student invariably will start to become more purposeful and the class continues to assess the performance.  Gradually the students will discover that when they end on G it sounds good and finally a little bulb will go off and one will pipe up and say, "Hey--that's mi re do."

Reaction game:
Snap =A
Clap =B
Pat = G
after rehearsing for a while, I can teach GAB songs using the body percussion.  I choose student volunteers when they feel secure enough to try it.

Here are some of the songs I use with the recorder
Joy to the World (Three Dog Night version)  uses G and A on refrain
Old Brass Wagon from Silver Burdett

y q’ q q’  y q’ q q’ y q’ q q’ q q
gggg     g        g    g           a a a a   a         a     a       b b b b  b          b       b         a     b

q q]
g     g
if you don't have the music from Silver Burdett--just modify the second to last measure to a a 
The Silver Burdett recording is a lot of fun and the students enjoy it.


Pizza Pizza Daddy-o from Silver Burdett

Play G for the response using the same rhythm.  The students LOVE the game that goes with it because you get to say that someone has a boy/girlfriend.  
Chicken on a Fence Post 
Play G on the 16th notes of song


Draw Me a Bucket of Water.  I use the Silver Burdett version but if you don't know it
I have the students play play a G instead of D in the second, fourth, sixth and seventh measures and G for the E on the last measure.  And if you want to differentiate, play it as is.


No comments:

Post a Comment