Thursday, September 10, 2015

ITunes12 and how to fix it. I still F**KING hate Apple

This is a short rant. I recently stopped updating ITunes because every time I did, something crazy happened. I thought I was being careful, but apparently those sneaky little buggers updated me when I wasn't paying attention. I didn't realize it until I saw that over 100 selections had those annoying exclamation points next to them meaning that iTunes didn't know where the files were, even though they've been stored in the same location for about 10 years. I located them, dragged them back into the file, but those exclamation points wouldn't go away. ITunes decided that some files, even though they were all in an mp3 format and had been perfectly happy in their former homes, were now being evicted with a no return policy. W T F?

So, as my mother would say, I asked the google, what is going on? Lo and behold I found a zillion other WTF posts about iTunes 12 and found out the solution was to get rid of it and download the former iTunes 11 version. Sure enough, all my files were allowed to return from their diaspora.

 I am going to look for a non-Apple mp3 player and system to store my music as Apple decided to eventually stream everything. I am old. I like hard copies. I like the physicality of objects.  I don't mind backing up my music in the clouds, but only as a vacation home.  I want them here, with me, on this planet.   Also, I don't want to have to pay a monthly service to this idiotic company that makes expensive toys for inattentive adults who like bright, shiny things.  All I can say is that if you buy Apple products, caveat emptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment