Saturday, October 8, 2016

Whad I do? and I Dint Do Nothing

Since this is a blog about teaching music I have refrained from posting about anything political. I couldn't help myself today. Teachers are trying to help students make connections about what they're learning to real world applications.  Here's my connection.

Whenever I discipline a student, I can usually count on one of four responses: 1.  a shrug with arms held out and an open mouth  2. "I dint do nothing " 3. "Whad I do?"  4." But ______ (insert another student's name) did it, too."  My answers: 1. Close your mouth please and use some words.  My mind reading abilities, like my cell phone, don't work inside the building. 2.  Use correct grammar please   It's I didn't do anything.  And yes, you DID do something. .3. If you don't know what you did, please go to time out until you can figure it out.  4. Yes, it's true, ____ (insert another student's name)  was doing it, too.  But if you and a buddy rob a bank  and only you get caught, do you think you will not be convicted because your buddy didn't get caught?  Go to timeout please and you can take ____ (insert another student's name)  with you.  I hope _____  (insert  other student's name who is now visibly angry) is happy that you tattled on him. 

These are the responses I get from students ranging from 5 to 9 years old.  Here's the thing-- all of those responses are remarkably similar to the way Trump and his supporters responded to the newly leaked video of his (no shock here)  hot mic comments about women.  He and the people that support him are clearly not even as smart as my fifth graders.  And many of my fifth graders read at or below a third grade level.


sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment